Home Register FAQ BrownyPlayer Members List
Mark Forums Read

Ian Brown Everything Ian Brown in here.

Old 28-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
smileybw
Like An Ostrich

Thanks Given: 0
Any chance of a solo date or two?

Having just finished reading John Robb's book about the Roses.... I've started to trawl through IB's back catalogue, etc.

As overjoyed as I was about the Roses reformation, missing IB's solo stuff and wondered if he'd take a break from whatever the Roses are doing and do a few solo gigs. To park up his back catalogue seems such a bloody waste!

Somebody close to him.... have a word!!
smileybw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Pabbers
Starduster

Thanks Given: 45
I miss them too, great gigs, some brilliant tunes.
Pabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Billie Jean
Cut Like A Diamond

Thanks Given: 645
Any news while I've been on holiday? :-)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
mancman16
Cut Like A Diamond

Thanks Given: 245
''From The Bank's Of The River Irwell''

Yeah..solo show's,remember them? The anticipation of the set list an all that,the joy of the band striking up a choon that makes the hairs on the back of ya neck stand up,meeting up with like minded heads and having a lost 90 minuets or so...bathed in a warm glow that is IB's solo work...bring it on !!
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Mart_
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 489
I hope he does. I really do. I mean, he's not like one of those artists who you think...."Mate? ffs? give it a rest will yer...??!!". Man deserves a break after 2012 but I hope its not long before he shows the rest how its done. And done proper...It has been quiet but don't know about you, I still have flashbacks to 2012 for many reasons, June end being the highlight...!! Who knows whats going on inside the camp. Can only summise cant we but whatever, knowing Ian I bet hes got a shed load of stuff just waiting until the opportunity and spark comes if the Roses don't reform/cannae be assed, when the times right for him cos it must be a mammoth effort? writing? perfecting, recording? family commitments? finding the right motivation after his initial solo and subsequent TSR reformation, and the whole glass bowl of it all? Oh and fucking record companies and the spawnless journo's who most of em have just been weaned off tit milk...

If he was to go solo part 2, I hope personally he does some more reggae cos I know he really appreciates that stuff, but that's just me being selfish! I still think Ian's got a lot more to say. I know 100% the folks on here are dying to absorb more and learn more. So yeah, IBx? pull yer finger out bred!! LOL

TTFN. Eyes on the prize bitcheeeeez!!

XX
Mart_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
kymystry
HotNeck
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 538
What I wouldn't give to see another IB solo ...
I've said it before but I miss Ian's solo more than I miss the Stone Roses. If the four of them came back with a whole set of new songs, well .... I'd love to hear new stuff but who knows if it'd actually tick my 'heart' box or not

Personally, I have more history with Ian than I do the SR so am crossing everything in the hope that Ian comes back with at least one more album and tour.

He has Unfinished Monkey Business to attend to, perhaps he'd call it Finished Monkey Business

kymystry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times
Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Mart_
Forum Donator

I wasn't about in the early days of Patrol and early TSR warehouse parties etc so got into the Roses fairly late, late 80's I reckon...Moved from Little Hulton to Bowdon so I was more interested in me bike racing and Mary Jane RottenCrotch and didn't do gigs to be honest. Then hearing TSR ( in the Hare and Hounds Timperley) was my first light bulb moment. Then it went quiet for a long time and then they had a second bite (SC - which I loved) then they fell out then Ian carried it on with his solo then they reformed. Mad journey really innit? Not too much in your face, little-is-more-approach but always that extra excitement when its either IBx or TSR doing anything really in'tit??

But I hope it carries on. I think it would be the icing on the cake and he deserves as much success as anyone imo whether its TSR cracking on or him 'putting chicken dinners back on t'table' with solo part deux.

200% behind him whatever he chooses to do. X
Thanked 2 times
Old 13-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Scotty
Walking Miles

Thanks Given: 89
I wonder if they've not somewhat missed the boat with the gap between the roses coming back...last gigs...new material. Whatever happens now the feel good factor is well and truly away and I wonder if a large bit of interest, both Ian and TSR, has gone.

I know it's not about popularity but think it would be fairly crap for Ian's next gig to be a solo gig in front of 1,200 folk after playing in front of 80,000 last time out. For folk on here it might be a great night, maybe after the stress of the roses gigs it might even suit Ian, I don't know him , I think the roses reunion really added a spark to Ian's performances, I don't mean vocally but the way he carried himself on the stage, he genuinley looked like he was having the greatest time..if you watch the last few gigs he did solo compared to the roses stuff, no comparasion.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 14-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Mart_
Forum Donator

Have to qualify this post Scotty mate with a few questions. Im only asking. I hope you don't mind...

1. Missed the boat? How? (It was an ocean liner last time it sailed.)
2. Do you really believe that the feel good factor and interest has 'gone'? Why? (I think it continues to grow year on year with the next generation???)
3. Why would it be crap to do 1,200 instead of 75,000? (Did you not enjoy his intimate solo gigs? My point being 75,000 was 3 nights each in a life long career of playing to 1,200 capacitys )
4. Did you have issues with his vocals during the TSR gigs? (75,000 looked to be buzzing their tits off when I surveyed the hoards in June 2012)

Just asking mate. Just that your points appear to veer towards a negative old chap??

Yours

Mart X
Thanks from:
Old 14-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
mancman16
Cut Like A Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart_ View Post
Have to qualify this post Scotty mate with a few questions. Im only asking. I hope you don't mind...

2. Do you really believe that the feel good factor and interest has 'gone'? Why? (I think it continues to grow year on year with the next generation???)
3. Why would it be crap to do 1,200 instead of 75,000? (Did you not enjoy his intimate solo gigs? My point being 75,000 was 3 nights each in a life long career of playing to 1,200 capacitys )
4. Did you have issues with his vocals during the TSR gigs? (75,000 looked to be buzzing their tits off when I surveyed the hoards in June 2012)

Just asking mate. Just that your points appear to veer towards a negative old chap??

Yours

Mart X
I was thinking exactly the same, I couldn't be arsed replying to Scotty's thoughts because I thought it would come over as having a poke when I never really intended it to,Mart has covered what my thoughts were on Scotty's post very well and in a manner I could only wish to convey. It did come across as a bit negative,that was my initial view, positive and negative it gives us something to blather about while thing's are quite ,I'm just a punter,I will take what I can get, don't matter what it is !! My cash would be on a solo show before any Roses material surfacing,great thread Scotty and food for thought,nice one fella's..
Old 15-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Scotty
Walking Miles

Thanks Given: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart_ View Post

Yours

Mart X
I think I missed out a crucial word to answere number 4 first, what I meant was I didn't even mean "just" vocally, I thought Ian's vocals were amazing during the roses tours, the performances in Milan especially are brilliant

What I was referring to was to me, as a outsider who doesn't know Ian that he genuinley looked like this is what he has been waiting on, natural high, he was buzzing about the stage, looking really pleased with life. I compare it to his last few solo gigs, I think there is footage on Youtube, where I don't think he was on the same level both vocally and more importantly, stage wise, obviously the crowds were different I think his last show was a festival in Serbia or something or other.

In terms of the boat, the natural high was the roses getting back together, then they did some gigs, at this point I think it was a great time for either Ian to go solo again and release something or preferably, to me, the roses to release something. We're now years later, nobody has heard much from any of them and the natural surge caused by their reunion has died down.

I think they will still be popular if they release something, to an extent, but I think it will be to a lesser level than had they released something within a year or so of getting back together.

To me the best gigs are in smaller venues but I was thinking more from an artists perspective, if your a top footballer you want to play in front of 80,000 crowds rather than 1,500, I was just thinking it would be pretty disappointing to go down to that level.

As i've said before, i'll be happy as long as I get to see some gigs and hear some new tunes, whoever they are but have to say the silence has baffled me.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
kymystry
HotNeck
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

What I was referring to was to me, as a outsider who doesn't know Ian that he genuinley looked like this is what he has been waiting on, natural high, he was buzzing about the stage, looking really pleased with life.
I compare it to his last few solo gigs, I think there is footage on Youtube, where I don't think he was on the same level both vocally and more importantly, stage wise, obviously the crowds were different I think his last show was a festival in Serbia or something or other.
Hardly fair to compare performance based on YouTube footage. Everyone knows that atmosphere, buzz, performance level etc is diluted when watching secondhand on the screen.
I've been to countless Ian Brown solo and find him just as into it an up for it performance wise as his Roses performances have been.

Just my opinion of course

kymystry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
madeofstone77
Like An Ostrich

Thanks Given: 5
As much as I love Ian browns solo stuff, The Stone Roses have still got unfinished business and I can't see him going solo until The Roses have finished that business. The Stone roses are better together than individually, they have such great chemistry together!

You can see Ian loves being the lead singer of the Roses and is in fact a fan as well a being part of the Roses (he loves watching and hearing the rest jam). He even said in the press conference no one in the world plays better together than Reni, Mani and Squire.

Remember guys, Ian never wanted the Roses to split in the first place that's way they probably went on longer than they should of.

Lets hear some new Roses stuff first, close The Stone Roses story on a high, then go back to IB solo!
Old 17-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Mart_
Forum Donator

Some interesting points. I think Ian's solos and TSR are two completely different shows. I think its well documented that TSR will do exactly what they like when they like and if they like. These guys are all 50+s now. Im knackered running 6k every morning! Have to have an afternoon kip! Recoveries not what it was! We're not all spring chickens anymore kids! I think we were bloody lucky that TSR formed for that magical period. Then kids and family and everything comes into play. Lots of other factors. I'll be happy if they do forge something in future, I'll be happy to see Ian doing his solo thing again. Im happy with what's happened so far and would be if nothing ever came out again!

Cos Im happy!! (Listen to Farrell kids!!)

XX
Thanks from:
Old 17-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #15
'Jailer'

Thanks Given: 959
Thanked 2,090 Times in 837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeofstone77 View Post
As much as I love Ian browns solo stuff, The Stone Roses have still got unfinished business
Oh, please. Fuck off.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #16
madeofstone77
Like An Ostrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jailer' View Post
Oh, please. Fuck off.
Thanks for that mate!

Sorry for having an opinion.

As I've said I love Ian browns solo stuff but would Love to hear some new Stone Roses stuff as they are my favorite band of all time.

Just because i believe they have unfinished business does not mean I would be disappointed if they did not release anything. I would respect anything they decide to do. They have already made my dreams by re-uniting for the live shows they've done so far, anything else is a bonus.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #17
madeofstone77
Like An Ostrich

I like many others would just like to hear some new roses songs, is there anything wrong with that?

I am totally greatful for what we've already had and if they don't release anything then so be it, they would still be my favourite band and i would not be disappointed.
Old 18-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
'Jailer'

Nothing wrong at all with your thoughts or opinions. They're yours!

I was just glad TSR got back together if for nothing more than not having to hear about their 'unfinished business' any more. 15 years of it and it's already back!!
Old 18-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Pabbers
Starduster

Have to be honest, when people say 'Unfinished Business', it almost sounds like these people think the Roses owe them something....

Either that, or they have read a 'Sun' headline.

The Roses got ripped off big time, people need to remember that, and while Millions of people have been playing their torrent rips of Roses tunes for the last 5 years....then demanded new stuff or saying Roses have 'Unfinished Business'....Just have a think eh !?!

Rant over.
Thanked 2 times
Old 18-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
madeofstone77
Like An Ostrich

When I say unfinished business, I do not in any way shape or form think the Roses owe me or anyone anything at all, they have already given me so much. The music they have created has been with me throughout my life which I am truly grateful for. No one else in the entire World has had such an impact on me musically like they have.

Maybe I used the wrong word in unfinished business. I suppose, I would just like a to see a happy ending (for them as well as the fans). They deserve it, they never got the credit they deserved the first time round and yes they did get ripped off.

Anyway never intentionally tried to upset anybody just love the band that's all!
Old 19-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #21
Pabbers
Starduster

The 'comeback' tour, could quite easily be seen as a perfect ending.
Old 19-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
'Jailer'

Absolutely - and it's been discussed to death everywhere, I'm sure.
All became mates again, came back to a massive welcome, smashed it, hugged and laughed and disappeared again. Perfect in my eyes.
Here's to the next IB album.
Old 19-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
Pabbers
Starduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jailer' View Post
Absolutely - and it's been discussed to death everywhere, I'm sure.
All became mates again, came back to a massive welcome, smashed it, hugged and laughed and disappeared again. Perfect in my eyes.
Here's to the next IB album.
Yep, exactly the way i see it.
Old 20-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Wriggers

Thanks Given: 1,233
Thanked 1,485 Times in 973 Posts
Oh I'd love a solo gig or seven, don't get me wrong the last two years have been unforgettable, Barca was one of the best weekends of my life as was HP, but there's something about an IB gig in somewhere like Brighton or Oxford or Boscombe or fuckin Bridlington or somewhere that's just magical, meeting up with a few Herbert's, day off work, usually with a new album of fresh tunes still ringing in the ears, usually bumping into the band during the day milling about the town/seafront, followed by the gig and some aftershow somewhere to bop the night away, spoilt to fuck we've been with IB solo tours for what? 14 years or so? All this from a supposed lazy bastard!! I don't think it'll be too long before Maxi, Tim, Inder etc are dusting of the drumsticks/trumpets/chimes what not, and we'll be having it again kids, here's hoping, because I actually KNOW fuck all.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #25
mancman16
Cut Like A Diamond

:twe ed:......

Ian Brown Official Discussion Forums > Ian Brown Forums > Ian Brown