Home Register FAQ BrownyPlayer Members List
Mark Forums Read

Ian Brown Everything Ian Brown in here.

Old 27-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Spike Island
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 65
Talking Jailer 'lifetime achievement award' - Ian Brown Forum

OK, lifetime achievement award - a title Mick cringes at, but we felt was deserved.

Basically, a bunch of us surprised Mick last night in Saddleworth when about 30 of us turned up from England, Scotland and Norway while he thought he was out having a quick pint with me. We hired a pub and literally showed the guy how much everyone loved him and what he's done for us, Ian Brown and The Stone Roses over the last 14 years - more recently via Ian making sure a lot of people made it to Heaton Park to see The Stone Roses.
Donations were taken - not to Mick though, but to B.I.R.D (Brain Injury Rehabilitation & Development) - a totally donation funded neuro-development charity that has done amazing work with Mick's daughter, Ciara. Despite what the cheque shows we're now over 1,400 and rising. Ciara has progressed so much over the last 12 months thanks to B.I.R.D and Mick & Sarah's tireless dedication to her. She, and Abigail are a credit to you both, and we know they do you proud. Most of us have never known about Mick's daughter's struggle - He's never broadcasted it, though lots of us knew how poorly she was when she was born. She's 7 years old now and finally getting a quality of life she deserves. A big, big thank you to everyone who's contributed. Ciara's life has changed so much thanks to treatment and work from them, and Mick & Sarah. She'll never be a neuro-typical (Google it!) type of kid, but she'll always be happy. What more can anyone want. x

On behalf of everyone here who has benefited from Mick & Ian/Fiction (via Mick) over the years - the gig tickets/promo's/news/pictures/bootlegs/prizes/goodies etc, etc - Thanks, Mick. You're one of a kind.
Selfless, generous to a fault, and relentless. Naughty, occasionally harsh, sarcastic and cutting mostly, but always just & always here to help. The recent hacking attempt showed how hard he works and cares about our forum.
A massive, massive chunk of us wouldn't even KNOW each other if it wasn't for you, Mick. Me and my boys call you 'our dream genie' because you make dreams come true. What other music forum has an admin who worked so hard to make a one-off opportunity to allow us to hear Ian's album My Way before anyone else at the studio in London where Ian came along to greet us all? Lifetime experiences.
From a Stone Roses fan site in the 90's, to Ian's early solo career, to then being personally chosen by Ian to look after his website & forum and more recently Facebook/Twitter etc. Mick does much, much more behind the scenes than any of us really know, and up until recently this was Mick's full time job, but times change and now Mick has moved on and is in another business.

Mick, you say you're retiring from the scene to concentrate on work and your family but we all really, really hope you don't leave us completely. You've handled Ian's profile online for as long as we can all remember and hope you continue to do so. No one could ever do the same job with the same commitment. Ian, the record label and the fans all know this.

Everyone that was present, post your photos. Mick will HATE it, but fuck it. He's only the administrator - what can he do about it?
Thanks everyone - it was an amazing night - great people, music and a lot of laughs and hugs.
We hope you love all the things people gave to you - primarily the amazingly fantastic Ian Brown Spike Island carving from Dave (that Mick was devastated that had gone to someone else - Dave, Mick is beside himself), the cool clothes and gob-smackingly gorgeous flowers (for Sarah!) from Cheekymonkey, the personal things from Ian Tilton, the Heaton Park pass from Al (Cus - we all remember your fascination with that!! nice one Al), the countless cards and video messages from your friends & people in the industry and some things you've still yet to discover.

Love ya Mick. And your amazing family. You deserved this.
xxx

Anyone wishing to donate to B.I.R.D please send me a PM.

Ciara

Spike Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
greenegg
GREEN ARMY!
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 67
What a nice thread. Mick fixed it for me to go to the My Way listening party and for that day in forever grateful. I've only met him once and that was there and he was modest about the whole event. I love this forum and appreciate everything Mick puts in.

Top bloke!
Old 27-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
moeproductions

Thanks Given: 768
Honoured to be there last night with you top people. Mick you know how I feel, balled my eyes out last night.

Best kept secret since 4 blokes walked into a rehearsal studio. We got ya

"It takes time for people to fall in love with you....but its inevitable"
moeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times
Old 27-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
bathing
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 893
That's a great post Rubes. What an amazing night we had and thanks to everyone who donated, wrote notes and who came along to share their love. A truly emotional night.

Here's a few pics.....of a few reprobates!

Old 27-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Claire07
All Ablaze

Thanks Given: 168
Mick, your one in a million don't ever let anyone tell you different!

Much Love

Claire Ash Mollie and Lewie xxxx
Claire07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 27-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
kymystry
HotNeck
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 538
Beautiful words Rubes and ones that many of us here will echo.

Without a doubt we wouldn't be here now, still living past, present and future glories of Ian Brown and The Stone Roses if it were not for Mick. Various incarnations of the forum have come and gone, but Mick is the glue that has held it together.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm gutted I coudn't get there last night to share in the celebrations but am so proud to be part of a community with so much love and caring among its members who without this place would never have met at all.

I'm so happy last night happened and was such a special night for you all, especially for Mick and Sarah ... embrace your blushes Mick, you deserve them

kymystry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 27-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
bathing
Forum Donator

Some more..

Old 27-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Philip L
Cut Like A Diamond
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 247
It was a pleasure to be there last night, i arrived in Oldham in the afternoon and walked up from Freehold tram station with my hood up just in case i was spotted!!!
It was great to see so many old faces i hadn't seen for a while (Paul J, Mart, Wriggers), new faces (Cheeky) and all the other lovely people who i saw at Heaton.
It was an unforgetable moment as we walked towards the pub Mart in front and Mick goes "f**kin' 'ell alright mate?" and then see's me and says "f**kin' 'ell what are you doing here Phil!" and the gradual realisation that it was a set up!
Great night, far far too much alcohol was consumed and a special thanks to Linds for the lift back and to Heppy's Missus for the lift into Manc this morning (lovely to meet little Lyla too!) I got some pics and a short video i have put on Fbook but i'll put it on here too.
Good times, good times and maybe once more for good measure "IN THE MISERY DICTIONARY, PAGE AFTER PAGE AFTER PAGE"!!!
Old 28-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Dr. Strangelove
All Ablaze

Thanks Given: 29
Great to read this thread, I SOOO wish I could have been there to share the night with you but family commitments took me milles away, with absolutely no chance of shifting things around (god knows i tried) I would have loved to see his nibs face with you lot in the pub when he walked in. No doubt a few tears were shed not to mention the booze. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, My best mate through good times and otherwise. Right, I'm off before i get too emotional...
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 28-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Mart_
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 489
Many months in the planning and many secrets had to be kept. Which isnt easy with M.I.6 Knaggs about the place. Some of the work behind the scenes putting together this surprise get together to celebrate MKs work over the many years was outstanding. Dave, Andy, Rubes get special mentions. Top blokes. Great skills.

People travelled far and wide to attend and the whole thing was to get the bugger off guard. Met at the Not So Dry Bar. They came from all corners, Edinburgh.....Poole.....Stavanger in Norway, West Sussex, Corby.....Little Hulton....Many couldnt make it. Special mention to those who tried but just couldnt cos of logistics. We know who you are.

Sarah possibly had the most stressful couple of weeks in her life. There was a mention of kittens....They always say, best to attack at night. Thats what we did. We rendezvoused at a pub just down the road fuelled up on Bow and spliff. Then the calls to arms as we mooched on up to the pub and the confusion and disbelief on his face was a lasting memory. Bang. Got him!!....Then 30 odd people took over a pub, slapped some Roses/IBX trax on....we may have even annoyed the neighbours. Even the barman (20 year old poet called James) got shedded with us...

Such a perfect day, and then home.....

As Elbow once sang....."Love yer mate...."

XX
Mart_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
dipper1967
Cut Like A Diamond

Thanks Given: 191
wow, this is one party i'd love to have been at. Mick, gutted yer goin mate but totally understand.

ONE LOVE X
Old 28-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Wriggers

Thanks Given: 1,233
Thanked 1,485 Times in 973 Posts
I arrived at the three crowns to see Mick sat outside!!!!! Had to dash inside in an avoiding the paparazi stylee!! Sat there with a pint spying on him out of the window just incase he came inside when I would've had to hide under the bloody table!!!! I went to the toilet to phone Dave and ask where the frig everyone was and heard someone coming in the door!!! not wanting a "oh hello Mick, fancy seeing you in here" moment I had to lock meself in the toilet cubicle and then had to put my phone on silent because Sally Cinomon is my ring tone ffs!!! Great great night for a lovely fella. Glad I was there, and that little get behind the bar tried getting hold of the wife!!! Can't knock the lad for trying I suppose....
Old 28-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
'Jailer'

Thanks Given: 959
Thanked 2,090 Times in 837 Posts
Cheers
You bastardos!

Great night, totally caught me off guard. You were lucky - I'd just finished work and the last thing I wanted to do was go out. I almost didn't and I've no idea what sort of problems that would have caused!

Haha, Lee - that was me that came into the toilets! I wondered why someone had bolted it into the cubicle.. pmsl.

The presentation - well that's very embarrassing but I guess that's what you wanted! Mart's beautiful wife Cal came to my rescue, thankfully - but they had me reading out all sorts and I could barely speak/see. Im sure there was perpetually 'something in my eye'..
After adrenalin kicked in early on, I was getting drinks handed to me like it was going to run out and I was quickly pickled, but I'll see if I can get everyone - Andy, Mart, Si, Matt, Dave and Julie, Heppy, Rubes, Ju, Joel, Lee, Phil, Angi, Paul Ginge, Paul L, Lins, Nidge (just seen you on a photo but can't recall seeing you there? Did we speak?) and of course mine and all your lovely wives/partners & friends you brought along. Cheers, means a lot.
B.I.R.D will be over the moon to hear about the donation. A charity very close to our hearts. The carving is as beautiful in the flesh as you'd expect. I'm gutted I've still not got it in my possession! I do have a number of bruises, lumps and bumps and some amazing memories though. The words you have wrote in the cards were so kind, and I could only do a few at a time yesterday. The singing/dancing went on for a bit afterwards I remember. Please be considerate if you're going to post photos - the ones I've seen so far of the celebrations aren't very flattering for me! We're there some complaints from the residents? It was 2am 'ish when Sarah called a taxi so hardly surprising. How many renditions of Misery Dictionary?

Yeah, things have moved on for me and I don't spend anywhere near as much time at the PC - office job now, and all that. But I'll still be around the place.

Thanks again. A complete but very, very lovely surprise.
Everyone clearly had put a lot of effort into it, getting to and from it, and enjoying it.
I'll never trust any of you again.

M
x
Old 28-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
nidge
Funky Monkey
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 1,637
Only briefly mick you were well on your way tho fella ! ;-)
Was a honour and a pleasure to be part of such a wonderful evening
N x
Old 28-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
'Jailer'

Lol.
Nice one.
I'd had a couple of drinks when I got home from work coz Rubes was over and Ju was on his way. We usually have a few shandies.
If I'd have known...
Old 28-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Billie Jean
Cut Like A Diamond

Thanks Given: 645
Excellent night. We briefly spoke Mick before I made my exit with Mr and Mrs Nidge. In fairness, you'd had one or two shandies by then......
Glad you turned up Mick. May have been a bit of a damp squib otherwise
Old 28-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
cheekymonkey

Thanks Given: 272
Great stuff, excellent time was had that day/night, we were all excited in the afternoon hoping a certain someone hadn't cottoned on. I'm glad I got there an hour late as we got taken to another pub with the same name where a very 'weary' landlord told to piss off as it was closed. He was bladdered.

Wouldn't have missed this for the world, Mick, you had it coming sunshine! Your face was a dream come true when I sneaked up on you.

As for the young lad coming onto your missus Wriggers, he was trying it on with all the females, free drinks which was a bonus. Fair play to him for trying.

Even funnier was the other lad behind the bar, the one with the glasses from Inbetweeners, who kept trying to get everyone to be quiet outside. Pfft.

We ended up at some Ska do in town that went on til 6.

Cream crackered yesterday so we just went straight back on it. Rude not to.
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
'Jailer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Jean View Post
We briefly spoke Mick before I made my exit
I might have remembered seeing you if you'd not left it to when you were saying good-bye?
Oh well. I guess you had your reasons. I'm glad you came anyway.
Old 29-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
bathing
Forum Donator

Some pics just need to be shared ey?.....

Old 29-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
Philip L
Cut Like A Diamond
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 247
-

Last edited by Philip L; 29-08-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Philip L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Che55y
Starduster

Thanks Given: 0
Sounds like a great (and very well deserved) night out was had. Not been around on here much lately - some fairly hectic times in my personal life have been a little overwhelming me - but saw the photos on Dave's FB so just wanted to pop by to wish Mick all the very best and thank you for such stellar and sterling work over the forum years. The pleasure has been all ours x
Old 29-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
Camnic
Cut Like A Diamond
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 372
Mick,
I am so sorry that we couldn't make it to your special evening on Sunday, but with kids and the necessary buying shoes etc for school I know you would understand! lol
xxxx
I would like to tell you though that you have given me personally some amazing experiences and memories that will NEVER fade, and I cannot thank you enough for them. Also for my son Cameron, do you remember when Ian phoned him from the listening party - for a 7 year old lad at the time, that made his whole universe - and it is all because of you!
So, thankyou Mr Knaggs - you truly are a little Superstar, thats what you are
Much, much Love and hugs and again a massive thankyou!
Nic
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Camnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 29-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
bathing
Forum Donator

I forgot to say in my post that I am humbled by Dr Barry 😊

As we know he lost his father and it hit him hard, but at the 11th hour he made his donation and sent a brilliant note for Mick and I wanted to thank him for that.
Brilliant stuff Barry mate.
Old 29-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
Brownie
Above Skylines
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 689
it looks like you all had a good time, after committing to going early on unfortunately i've been ill of late and missed out quite a bit recently. Sorry I couldn't be there Mick, i would have loved to have seen your expression when the 'penny dropped'.

Really made up for you Mick, you've made stuff possible that i could only dream of.

The Glue that holds us together.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
ajay
Starduster

Thanks Given: 209
I've not been the most prolific of posters, but have been around for a while and been more active since the Roses reformed and I've had more time on my hands.

It looks like Mick had a good night and well deserved too

Thanks for running the forum. It's been the best way to keep up with Ian's solo stuff and I've met a few people from here at his solo gigs. It's been invaluable since the Roses reformed and helped me keep up to date with the whole tour and arrange meet ups with even more people over last couple of months.

All the best,

Ajay
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:

Ian Brown Official Discussion Forums > Ian Brown Forums > Ian Brown