All Ablaze
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 1
Vs Cancer Video

Golden gaze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7T0S928Cxo

Dolphins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFa95LUEtg

Got about another 20 vids to upload (including full 10 min of IATR but it's too big for youtube so gonna have to f@@k about with it, unless anyone knows of anywhere else to upload it??), but am wrecked now and gotta go to bed now, up in 5 hours

Mod Edit : Sorry mate - Just thought I would set up a whole new thread rather than single ones.. Cheers

Last edited by Steven Tolan; 31-03-2007 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Start up new thread for all reviews.
*kc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Steven Tolan
Superstar

Thanks Given: 2
Manchester V Cancer - Reviews, Pictures, Videos etc.

All post in here if you have any thanks.

Steven Tolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
elephantstone
Like An Ostrich

Thanks Given: 0
try stage6 mate. would be great if you could up iatr!
elephantstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
kymystry
HotNeck
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 538
Thanks kc, great clips what an amazing sight!!

Good stuff ... keep it coming

kymystry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
M16-w.a.p.
Like An Ostrich

There was magic in the air last night. The atmosphere cannot be described, and thats saying something for the arena. The highlights - Peter Hook with Echo and the Bunnymen - Ceremony. Charlatans with Weller - Town Called Malice. The whole of Noel Gallagher's set - sensational. (I went to the gig he did in London Union Chapel yet last night was just far superior!)

However I have to say that I was dissapointed with Ian's set. I must have seen the guy over 20 times live. Been to every gig he's done in Manchester (except Manics support slot) plus others round the country. Last night he had a chance to shine but didn't take it - playing two new songs in a row killed the atmosphere in my opinion. The mood in the place was boyant after a mini Charlatans greatest hits set and everyone was getting into Ian's solo tunes but then it all went a little flat. It wasn't a night for new songs. Why didn't he wheel Noel G out for Keep What you Got? The roof would have come off!

Resurrection was a nice touch but I knew it was coming so it lost some of its impact. Plus someone had told me Reni was going to play so when he didn't show was a tad dissapointed. However Cressa ruled the stage with some of his moves (even though no-one seemed to know who he was when Ian announced him).
M16-w.a.p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
'Jailer'

Thanks Given: 958
Thanked 2,077 Times in 831 Posts
Couldn't go to this after all. Hope you all had a great time.
Old 31-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
nowli1973
Like An Ostrich

totally agree with last post.
The place was buzzing when he came on to a heroes reception. - Fired into Golden Gaze - Dolphins were Monkeys- Time is my Everything & a Magestical F.E.A.R - It was a classic Ian Brown performance he was on top form. Then it all went pear shaped - Who's decision was it to air two new songs on a night like that? It brought the whole atmosphere down. I'm sure they will become top tunes but in my opinion it wasn't the time or place last night. Ian didn't seem happy either having to restart one then not getting the crowds adulation at the end as Andy Rourke set off on a speech. A minor let down on a otherwise amazing night!!
nowli1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
JSU
In The Shadow Of A Saint

Thanks KC, great to see some footage, looks like a goodun so far... actually saw the first one last night cos I was up late, didn't expect to see anything either for this one so fast as it was a late finisher.
Old 31-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
doctoraxe

i thought brown actually looked happy ...he was smiling, hugging and chatting other preformers....and ressurection was a fantastic end to a fooking top night....

but agree...what made him do two new songs, not time or place..........
Old 31-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Party
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 87
What a night!

I've got some vid clips and I'll try and get them sorted on Monday when I'm back in work. I was sat in block 103, just to the left of the stage, the clips ain't great but I'll try and get them up anyway.

For some strange reason, I've never actually seen The Charlatans live but after last night, I definitely would. Thought they were spot on. One minor niggle for me was being 4 from the front of the beer queue when Mr Weller made an appearance and belted out a Town Called Malice.....it sounded good from the concourse though

Now for the negative about IB? Not a chance. I thought he was on fire as usual, there's nothing like seeing Brownie in Manchester. So what, he played a couple of new songs but we knew that was going to happen anyway. Everyone always looks for faults with IB's performances, why not just enjoy them? When Ian said he was playing 2 new ones, a prick behind me starts shouting "Play something we know!" Then prick's mate shouts "Yeah, play Dolphins were Monkeys." Ermmm, hello, were you not here a few minutes ago?

Yeah sure, I would have liked Ian to play some more tunes and be on longer but that was his slot and whatever he played, I enjoyed it. I'm sure we'll get another chance to see him soon.

As for Noel, what can you say? He was quality. Talk Tonight and Half The World Away were particular favourites but when he did Don't Look Back in Anger, I don't think there was a single person not drowning him out with their own attempts at the vocals. Had a crazy moment during the song, just cast my eyes out over the crowd to take it all in and spotted a mate right in middle, waving at me like a goon. Cue both of us jumping around and waving arms as if we were bringing in a 747.

I managed to be in crowd when Paul Weller came back with Noel and cursed myself for missing some of his stuff earlier.

Whether you knew Resurrection was coming or not, how could you not be blown away by that? Ian and Mani, doing that tune? F8*cking brilliant. Thought/hoped Noel would have made an appearance on this but it wasn't to be. I'm sure we'll have the usual round of what if the Roses got back together now and I have to admit, seeing the crowd's reaction to it, you do have to let your mind wonder for just a minute......anyway we've been there and done that to death I think. I've seen Ian and Mani on stage together at Blackpool but last night blew that away, they looked like they got a real buzz out of doing it too. Love that shot on the big screen near the end, when IB was up with Inder on percussion.

Nice touch to see Cressa throwing some moves as well. You gotta remember that not everyone there was a Roses fan so that probably explains why not everyone knew him.

All in all, one of the best concerts I have the privelidge of being at. As Andy Rourke said, see you next year. Throw in The Mondays, The Inspirals and most of last night's talent and I'll start queueing for my ticket next week.

Old 31-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
*kc*
All Ablaze
Forum Donator

Aye well I unfortunately had to come home after it JSU, just been watching the rest I took (and have been getting a pounding cause i take such wobbly shite quality vids lol better than nowt tho!!)

To get my 2p's worth in, I disagree with the previous posts, I've also saw IB live loads of times and I wasn't dissapointed at all. Just wish that Noel had been on first and that Brown had got the 50min slot. I fully expected that he'd play 1 or 2 new tunes tho and although I agree the atmosphere changed slightly...so what! Didn't stop me enjoying it. On Track sounded good and think the other new one, forgot what it was called? something about 'broken'?? think that will sound amazing recorded, my vids don't do it justice.

Stage6 isn't working elephantstone, any other ideas? It's a 230mb 10 min mp4 clip...

Sorry to hear you didn't make it M

Last edited by *kc*; 31-03-2007 at 01:50 PM..
Old 31-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
kymystry
HotNeck
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 538
Thanks for an amazing review Paul. I can tell you're still riding high on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party View Post
What a night! ....

Whether you knew Resurrection was coming or not, how could you not be blown away by that? Ian and Mani, doing that tune? F8*cking brilliant. Thought/hoped Noel would have made an appearance on this but it wasn't to be. I'm sure we'll have the usual round of what if the Roses got back together now and I have to admit, seeing the crowd's reaction to it, you do have to let your mind wonder for just a minute......anyway we've been there and done that to death I think. I've seen Ian and Mani on stage together at Blackpool but last night blew that away, they looked like they got a real buzz out of doing it too. Love that shot on the big screen near the end, when IB was up with Inder on percussion.

exactly as I imagined it, eyes closed as I was listening to it on my phone
thanks again mate

kymystry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Mart_
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 489
The night but not in the right order

Tele Savallas reporting here live from Wythenshawe Social Club, having despatched a hugely hungover Dave Bathing from Stockport Train station on a 3 hour journey Im glad Im not doing. The proceeding KFC still isnt helping our headaches or stomachs, but Newt is looking after Mum and Dan in their hour of need.

What a afternoon and then what a night...Getting the downers out of the way, there were some key people missing from this key event. You know who you are and we can only reitierate how much you were missed.

Started off by meeting up in the Vic Station Bar, there was an Almighty and a Mrs Almighty, A Bathing, A Punkylass and an Andy, Juju & a Spike Island appeared with a DJ called Lowrider complete with crutches which were used as weapons if anyone came near, and a sea of IB Superstar trainers, a collection the likes of God has never seen. In fact, last night there was a world record broken for the most amount of Adidas clobber worn in one square hectare. Then a Heppy manifested, Only One Stop hot footin it from Edinburgh, and I think AJH was in early on with friends. After a few jars and half a pint I managed to pour down meself, and just in time to miss that tit called Frank Sidebottom, we wandered on just in time to catch The Charlatans. Tim? If you gonna wear Adidas, try JJB mate. But set-wise, some of you may know my thoughts on The C, they were pretty good, gotta be said. Then in no particular order, Mani earnt his corn by spinning a few well chosen numbers. Hes a cheeky chappy and everyone loves him, full stop. Some Scream on there, think Prodigys Smack my Beatch up was enjoyed. Mrs Almighty decides a call of natures required, just as IBX comes on to a massive ovation and bangs into Golden Gaze. Beauty...then a few other numbers which someones already mentioned, Dolphins, FEAR. IBX decides to wind up the scousers in the place with references to Gary Neville. Personally, it doesnt get much better than that...Hehe. Then an announcement about 2 new tunes, and straight onto On track with vocals. Fuckin loved it, next question. The next one was something like Goodbye to the Broken (?) (Help here needed as Im senile). In an IBX gig, bring it on, there? Im not so sure. But like Ive said before, he could do Nana Mouskouri covers and hit the spot. He must have stopped smoking recently, cos he jogged on the spot all night. I wouldnt last 2 minutes in a five aside against 5 year olds. I thought he was good, but then Im Mart and Im a biased f*cker. Saw a bit of Mr Weller with The C's and cant remember when he came on. When your sat in the Gods its very easy to skin up, and my memories not what it used to be....

Wandered on down to the bar, remortgaged the house to buy some water and a beer or two, opened up the 3rd packet of Marlboro Lights, did me abolutions, and went back in as Noel started up. Tell yer what, why the fuck he has his brother involved is beyond me. I dont have a CD/MP3 whatever of any Oasis stuff cos basically I cant stand the f*ckers. I may have changed my mind after his performance last night, but stay solo Noel your brother irritates the bollocks off me. Most of your classics with Slide Away to finish. Missed a portion of the night like the Doves etc. Mr Love Almighty was loving Mrs Almighty at one stage, thats all you need to know.

The finale (It was I am the Resurrection for those of you who were born on the sun)was beautiful and one of those 'take it all in' moments when you pan round from the stage to the crowd and you can just feel it? You know? Yeah....Beautiful that.

Then out into the night, to find a Night and Day, where we successfully ambushed an Andy (moeproductions) from Poole with his mate for his tambourine. Somehow Andy had managed to get his face on the screen. Again....But great lad, shame he couldnt come to N&D.

Hit the N&D where Mr DJ Lowrider delivered yet another epic performance as we all danced like our dads til the wee hours. We also met Sugarspunsister, Stoksey and if Ive forgotten anyone, sorry, Im old. There were no nutters which was good. Or at least we manage to body swerve em and everyone looked like theyd had a laugh . And then we met cus who came into our lives like a texan tornado and made us all laugh our bollocks off. Mad as a March hare and beautiful at the same time.

For those of you who missed it, we all missed you. For a great cause against the mighty C, it was a fuckin top night, and Andy Rourke deserves a mention. Im sure some pictures will follow. Easy, laters, Mart n Cal XXXXX

Last edited by Mart_; 31-03-2007 at 01:27 PM..
Mart_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Party
Forum Donator

Top shout Mart.

Let's have a big hand for Gary Neville! I forgot about that.
Old 31-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
kris88
Whisperer

just recovering now!
superb night but quite gutted that i cant remember the final part of Noel's set or IATR, PLEASE UPPOAD THIS!!!!

http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/
kris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #16
Party
Forum Donator

Oh I forgot this as well....my memory card was full by the time IATR came on I'm sure someone else will have it though.
Old 31-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
lowrider

Thanks Given: 38
KC has got it mate, & I'm looking forward to having a gander at it when she gets iut up.

I'm really too foooked to add anything more the the excellent reports above. What a a fantastic night, I'm already lookin' forward to the next time.
Old 31-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
*kc*
All Ablaze
Forum Donator

But it's too big!!

Just put Town called malice on, will add others later going back to bed now..
Old 31-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
JSU
In The Shadow Of A Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by *kc* View Post
But it's too big!!
You got Super? LINK convert it to wmv then stick it through Windows Media Encoder (I can tell you the decent settings) to get the file size down, if needs be.
Old 31-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
JSU
In The Shadow Of A Saint

from NME
http://www.nme.com/news/stone-roses/27461

Collaborations galore at cancer fundraiser
44 minutes ago

A host of Manchester music legends united onstage to play one of the city's classic anthems last night (March 30).

The climax of the Manchester Versus Cancer event saw former Stone Roses bandmates Ian Brown and Mani take to the stage with Smiths bassist Andy Rourke and New Order's Peter Hook to perform 'I Am The Resurrection', sparking scenes of pandemonium at the MEN Arena.

A fundraiser for Manchester cancer hospital Christies, the event also saw Brown play a short greatest hits set including new song 'Goodbye To The Broken' and Noel Gallagher headline with a stunning semi-acoustic set.

The Oasis leader played classics such as 'Don't Look Back In Anger', 'Slide Away' and 'Half The World Away', along with 'Don't Go Away' from 'Be Here Now' - which he dedicated to Kasabian guitarist Serge Pizzorno.

Noel was also joined onstage by Paul Weller for a version of The Jam's 'The Butterfly Collector'.

Weller had earlier joined The Charlatans for another JAM tune, 'Town Called Malice'.

Other collaborations included Peter Hook joining Echo & The Bunnymen for 'Lips Like Sugar' and McAlmont and Butler teaming up with Andy Rourke to run through a pair of crowd-pleasing Smiths classics 'Still Ill' and 'Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me'.

Speaking to NME.COM, event organiser Rourke explained the inspiration for night: "My manager's sister Nene passed away last year. She made it to last year's event but sadly passed away soon after. So tonight's gig is in her memory," he said. "The whole point of the night is to be a celebration of music, rather than wearing black arm bands."

Meanwhile, Mani said the gig also held special personal significance.

"Everyone knows someone who's been hit by it [cancer]. Three of my relatives died of it this year so it's a great opportunity tonight to get up and raise some money to beat it. As well as having a buzzing music scene, also has the major research institute for cancer - Christies so tonight we just want to raise as much as we can so they can kick the disease up the arse."

As ever, the Primal Scream bassist was coy about a potential Stone Roses reunion.

"When he (John Squire) stops painting and picks up a guitar again, who knows? I'd be a nice thing to do, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Manchester City will probably win the Premiership before it happens."

Last edited by JSU; 31-03-2007 at 02:06 PM..
JSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #21
*kc*
All Ablaze
Forum Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
You got Super? LINK convert it to wmv then stick it through Windows Media Encoder (I can tell you the decent settings) to get the file size down, if needs be.
mm looks complicated (for a tech muppet like myself!) Will have to wait till my head is in a more stable state! Here is 'On track' for now tho be warned, the quality is getting worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvB2k4tEo_I Right defo going to bed this time...

oops, that one is Goodbye to the broken

Here is On track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZdzzJ2JdI

Last edited by *kc*; 31-03-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 31-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #22
sammi
Like An Ostrich

what an amazin night ..loved everybit of it, spesh when ian came on what a set!
loved on track , couldnt really hear the 2nd new song as too many peeps were moanin that it was shit
the charlatans an noel were amazin as so was paul weller even the bunnymen!
missed the doves an gutted a missed resurrection (due to spontaneous throwin up of the insides of my stomach)
am still on the biggest high !!!
Old 31-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
Rock In Chair
Like An Ostrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi View Post
couldnt really hear the 2nd new song as too many peeps were moanin that it was shit
Doubt the song is shit, but that performance of it was woeful. Everyone was just shrugging embarrassed. Killed the vibe dead. Strange decision to showcase new songs on a night like this.
Rock In Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
spiralmama
Walking Miles
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 17
sounds like a top night - thanks for the vids and reviews. glad to hear a brilliant time was had by all.

Real sorry to hear Mr J couldn't make it.
Old 31-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #25
bathing
Above Skylines
Forum Donator

Thanks Given: 885
My cords are fucked! I'm sorry,but i'm having trouble looking at my screen at the mo,i need some kip. I'll have a chat about the gig later,i think.

Ian Brown Official Discussion Forums > Ian Brown Forums > Ian Brown